– A volunteer donated canvassing materials. We are ready to door knock!
– Attended West Des Moines Democrats meeting to share my “Plant a tree. Grow a campaign!” initiative
– Attended celebration of the passage of the 19th Amendment
– Met with Charlie Hodges to thank him for endorsing my candidacy and hear his ideas about how best to reach voters
– Attended Johnston Democrats monthly meeting where Michael Franken discussed his run for U.S. Senate
Busy Day! Attended and met:
– Metro Advisory Council;
– Mom’s Demand Action Day at the Capitol;
– Public hearing on Xenia lawsuit;
– Johnston Fourth Graders;
– Senate Judiciary subcommittee meeting on SOL for sex abuse cases; and
– Clive Democrats meeting
– Attended Johnston Public Works subcommittee meeting.
– Council Member Scott Syroka and I took a virtual tour of the new City Hall presently under construction. Amazing!
– Confirmed final details for Educating Rhonda on February 29. Please join us!
– My amazing volunteers held a creative fundraiser for me – supporters received professional social media profile pictures. So much FUN!
– Attended Women in Government Breakfast
– Worked on my spring fundraiser. Hope to see you March 26!
– Attended Johnston meeting about Northglenn Trail
– Sent out my first Newsletter
– Met with a group of volunteers to plan outreach for my “Plant a tree. Grow a campaign” initiative
– Attended Johnston City Council Meeting
– Despite the recording issue that arose later, the caucuses ran very smoothly. So great to see so many community members involved!
– Ready to caucus tomorrow!
– Met with my farming relatives in Northwest Iowa to discuss the practicalities of environmental farming practices. Goal – 100% cover crop on all acres 100% of the time. It’s not always easy.
– This t-shirt says it – the Iowa Senate need at least one landscape architect!
– Met with Mike Delaney who is working to promote a soil health bill that the legislature will consider this session. Important work!
– A group of volunteers met with me to discuss messaging and how best to get our positive message out to the folks in Grimes, Johnston, and Urbandale.
– Attended Johnston Tree and Park Board meeting. Committed volunteers play an important role in shaping our community.
– Great communications team meeting. Good ideas with implementation plans to boot!
– Attended Climate Change forum to hear from presenter Rick Smith about the challenges we face. I encourage you to attend the Climate Crisis Parade downtown on February 1.
– Thank you Peggy Huppert, Executive Director of NAMI/Iowa for a highly informative presentation of Iowa’s mental health care system and steps we should take to better serve Iowans.
– Attended gathering of volunteers in Senate District 20.
– Attended Johnston Arts Council committee meeting.
– Hosted event for SD 20 voters to learn more about Amy Klobuchar with guest speaker Congresswoman Angie Craig.
– Worked on volunteer portal to make it easier for volunteers to tell us how they want to be involved in the campaign. If you want to get involved, let me know and I’ll send you the link!
– Attended Johnston City Council meeting at which Eagle Scout Jake Wicks was recognized for the great historic signs he built and installed at the Farmhouse Museum and Barn.
– Met with volunteers planning a spring fundraiser on March 26 at the Urbandale Golf & Country Club
– Called more SD 20 voters to introduce myself
– Met with the leader of my yard sign team
– Met with the bike ride event team. How long should our community bike ride be?
– Met with the tree sale team. Keep your eye out for seedlings, perfect for your yard!
– Attended a public meeting on the north of 62nd sewer improvements
– Attended the Metro Advisory Council meeting
– Met with Deb Hansen to plan the absentee ballot project
– Met with Pat Walters about the canvassing plan
– Postcards, postcards, postcards! Volunteers will contact hard-to-reach voters this way. If you want to help, contact us!
– Knocked doors in chilly temperatures! Democracy works best when we all participate. Voters are engaged like never before!
– Participated in formal caucus training. Thanks to all of the volunteers who make the caucuses run smoothly!
– Attended the Johnston Democrats monthly meeting
– Attended the Johnston City Council meeting
– Held a campaign Communications Team meeting
– Participated in a tour of current and future Johnston improvement projects with Johnston mayor, city council members, city administrators, and city department heads–a fun and thoughtful group!
– Cross-referenced petition signatures with voter database to confirm that all signatures qualify
– Attended presidential candidate Amy Klobuchar event in Johnston. Collected signatures on my nominating petitions as well
– Meeting with campaign manager about the person-to-person initiative–a way for busy volunteers to help reach more voters. Stay tuned!
– Celebrated New Year’s Eve with campaign volunteers
– Campaign planning
– Campaign communications meeting
– Honored to help lay wreaths at the Iowa Veterans Cemetery with veteran Vicki Harris
– Watched livestream of state hearing on predatory practices of out-of-state purchasers of manufactured home parks
– Ames wine and cheese party in support of my campaign
– Urbandale Area Democrats Holiday Party
– Attended Empower Women Luncheon
– Johnston City Art Council meeting
– Johnston City Council budget meeting
– Kris Winters hosted meet and greet at Orange Chic Boutique, a great place to shop local
– Campaign cabinet meeting
– Attended Johnston’s Alternative Gift Market to support local artisans and businesses
– Ad Hoc Johnston Public Works meeting. Public spaces are important to preserve and create community.
– Alina and Morgan hosted an Introverts for Rhonda event.
– Proud to be part of the project group to get the statue of Jack Trice moved back to the ISU campus
– Attorneys Paige Fiedler and Kim Baer hosted a meet and greet gathering at Paige’s firm.
– Johnston City Council
– Called voters
– Campaign cabinet meeting
– Addressed Postcards for an Ames event in support of my campaign
– Johnston Library Board meeting
– Johnston Metro Waste Authority meeting
– Jim and Jill Morrill hosted a gathering in Urbandale
– Johnston City Council meeting
– Volunteer appreciation party by new Johnston City Council members
– Urbandale Area Democrats Celebrity Chef Cookoff Event for Rhonda’s campaign–great event!
– Johnston-Grimes Firefighters Ball celebrating a great fire department keeping us safe
– Johnston Area Democrats Meeting
– Gathering at the home of Susan Klein
– Iowa Senate Dems training shared lots of useful info
– Barb & Jim Woodsmall house party
– Met with AFSCME representatives to better understand the issues facing public employee unions
– Election Day! Congratulations to the new members elected to the Urbandale and Johnston City Councils and School Boards!
– Johnston City Council meeting; new police officers sworn in
– Volunteered for Johnston City Council candidates
– USO ribbon cutting with Cindy Axne
– Volunteered for Urbandale City Council and School Board candidates
– Ad hoc Public Works meeting at Johnston City Hall
– Hosted 5 students from Missouri who were attending the Liberty and Justice dinner
– Attended presidential candidate Amy Klobuchar’s event to hear her views
– Attended meeting at Johnston City Hall to discuss Northglenn drainage project
– Attended Grimes City Council candidate forum
– Rode along with Johnston Police to better understand the crucially important work they perform to keep our community safe
– Met with campaign volunteers
– Met with supporters and volunteers about upcoming events
– Took part in Johnston Town Center ground-breaking ceremony
– Attended Johnston City Council candidate forum
– Attended Johnston City Council work session and Council meeting; the Council recognized Adam Koch and Cooper Pierce for gifting their $5,000 video competition award to the Johnston-Grimes Fire Department
– Met with campaign communications team to discuss campaign outreach
– Attended “Art in the Barn” event to support the Johnston Library
– Attended Urbandale Democrats meeting with guest speakers discussing political reporting and news
– Educating Rhonda: Forum on Water Quality; in Grimes, with expert Dr. Chris Jones
– Visited McAuley Terrace, a senior housing community, to sepnd time getting to know some of the residents
– Attended and spoke at the Women in Leadership Fundraiser at the home of Roxanne Conlin
– Attended Power Women event with Sen. Claire Celsi and Rep. Karin Derry, hosted by Mark Thompsen
– Attended “Gender and Communications on the Campaign Trail” to hear Kelly Winfrety present communication strategies for women candidates
– Received first endorsement from the Johnston-Grimes Firefighters
– Participated in a work session of Johnston City Council, and a Council meeting
– Attended house party to discuss my campaign
– Attended Johnston’s 50th Anniversary Gala
– Met Jake Wicks to learn about Eagle Scout service project
– Placed a historical marker on the accessible historical walk that connects the Johnston Historical Society and the historic Simpson Barn
– Met with a leader of the Iowa State Education Association
– Attended fundraiser to support DM Public Library and the 2019 Iowa Author Award
– Attended joint meeting of Johnston City Council and Planning & Zoning
– Walked with friends and advocates of mental health in the NAMI Walks Iowa in Johnston
– Start It With A Party – Grimes Kickoff! Kicked off Rhonda’s campaign in Grimes at a beach-themed yard party, hosted by Ed Walker, Ann Mueller Gale, & John Williams
– Attended Johnston Tree Board and Park’s Board monthly meeting
– Attended the Greeshma Mela (Summer Festival) of the Hindu Temple and Cultural Temple Center of Iowa
– Attended a meet-and-greet for Scott Syroka, candidate for Johnston City Council
– Led the pledge of allegiance at the Steak Fry along with other local candidates
– Participated in Central Iowa Green Infrastructure conference in Ankeny
– Met with retired police officer and Teamsters Local 238 state political director, Jim Romar, to discuss public safety and unions
– Attended Iowa Association for Justice President’s Party in Johnston
– Walked in the Johnston HS Homecoming Parade
– Have a Kicking Good Time in Johnston: Rhonda kicked off her campaign for the Senate District 20 seat with appetizers, drinks, and a raffle; at Greenbriar Restaurant & Bar
– Led the first official Rhonda Martin for Iowa Senate Campaign Meeting
– Attended Fundraiser at the Heights, to support the campaigns of Rhonda, Rep. Jennifer Konfrst, and Rep. Karin Derry; at the home of Kyle and Lydia McCord
– Educating Rhonda: Education, at Trostel’s Greenbriar, with special guests, Iowa Rep. Karin Derry and retired ISEA Associate Executive Director Randy Richardson. Heard about how the changes in the laws are impacting teacher negotiations, what legislation is still on the table for 2020, and what educators say are the biggest challenges they face in today’s classroom and how legislators can help.
– Walked in the Urbandale 4th of July Parade
– Attended Urbandale Area Democrats July Meeting
– Walked in the Johnston Green Days Parade
– Volunteered with Karin Derry at the Johnston Partnership Food Pantry
– Celebrating Iowa Women: Announced Rhonda’s candidacy at this event with Rep. Karin Derry